Activity 2.2.2a Mechanical Gears Review
Read each question carefully and place your answer in the appropriate space.
Examine the picture of the VEX model below and then answer the first three questions.
- Name the type of movement used as an input ____________________________.
- The output movement has been changed to __________________ movement.
- We call this mechanism a _______________________________.
- In the belt drive mechanism, what happens when the belt is crossed instead of open?_________________________________________________________
- In a mechanism, when the input goes from a small gear to an output which is a larger gear, the speed will ________________ (increase, decrease). When this happens, the amount of torque will ____________________ (increase, decrease).
- When a big gear turns a small one, the output provides more _____________________ but less _________________ than the input.
- Which of the following mechanisms moved slower, the worm and wheel or the rack and pinion? _____________________________________
- Which mechanism transmits rotary motion to reciprocating? _______________
- The advantage of using a chain drive over a belt drive is ______________________________________________________________.
- The advantage of using a belt drive over a chain drive is ______________________________________________________________.
- The purpose of an idler gear is to ___________________________________.
Use the formula below to determine the answers to questions 12 and 13.
Problem: A rack with a pitch of 4 mm is used with a 20-tooth gear.
12. How far will the rack move when the input is given one turn? ________________________
13. How many turns will be needed to move the rack a distance of 240 mm? ________________